Iranti is recruiting for a regional position of a Trans Rights Advocacy Programme Officer.
The Trans Rights: Self Determination and Legal Gender Recognition Programme
Across the African region, Trans and non-binary persons face discrimination on the grounds of their gender identity, gender expression, and find themselves outside of the state human rights care and systems support. Transphobic systemic violations occur when Trans people are not able to change their gender markers to be congruent to the gender they align and self-identify with. As a result, Trans people are economically marginalised, face violence, experience isolation and mental health distress merely for being themselves. Iranti is focused on remedying this through a rights-based framework.
The aims of the programme are to
- Advocate for recognition and inclusion of Trans and non-binary persons in all spheres of our society.
- Raise visibility and awareness within the wider community and the LGBTI movement on issues pertaining to gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics
- Work towards the depathologisation of trans and intersex persons and their identities
- Support Iranti’s research to holistically cover Trans issues
- Empower trans communities, organisations and people in all their diversities to advocate for their rights with a particular focus on national, regional and international mechanisms
- Support community organising, led by trans people regionally.
- Raise visibility and awareness on Trans issues within queer and feminist movement(s)
If you want to make a difference and meet the following criteria, we invite you to apply for this position
- English with one of the languages, French, Portuguese, Swahili, Arabic language criteria
- Minimum an Undergraduate qualification.
- Experience in Trans advocacy rights.
- Willing to be based in Johannesburg at the Iranti head office.
Please send a 2 page CV with contactable references to recruitment@Iranti.org.za by the latest Wednesday 06 October 2021 at 6 pm (Central African Time).
|Closing Deadline for applications:||Wednesday, 06 October 2021|
|Interviews of candidates||14 October 2021|
|Start of the position:||Soonest and negotiable|
Compensation will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the selected candidate and the Iranti salary range for the position.
Iranti reserves the right to withdraw the position at any time. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us 14 days after the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.