14 APRIL 2022
KwaZulu-Natal has been ravaged by heavy rains and flooding over the past few days. The floods have been declared a provincial disaster by the National Department of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA). Over 300 lives have been lost to date and many more people have been displaced. As with crises of this magnitude, the poorest and most vulnerable suffer the most. Residents in dozens of informal settlements have seen their homes and belongings washed away.
Abahlali baseMjondolo has appealed for urgent relief in the form of food, clothing, school uniforms, building materials and blankets. In response, the following civil society organisations have started a drive to collect these essentials: the Consortium for Refugees and Migrants in South Africa (CoRMSA), the Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa (ISLA), Iranti-Org, Just Associates (JASS), Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR), 1in9 Campaign, One Voice Of All Hawkers Association (OVOAHA), Oxfam, Passover Community Building Organisation (PCBO) and the Socio-Economic Rights Institute of South Africa SERI.
We appeal to all those who are able to make donations to join us in this drive. Our goal is to provide an inclusive response to assist those affected by the floods as they work to recover from this disaster.
We will be collecting any donations from 15 April until 19 April 2022. Donations can be brought to the following locations:
Between 11:00 and 14:00.
6th floor Aspern House, 54 De Korte Street, Braamfontein, 2001.
Contact: Sanele Garane, 072 238 4890.
Passover Community Building Organisation, Between 09:00 and 17:00.
592 Masopha Street, Bekkeresdal Location, Westonaria, 1779.
Contact: Esther Meletse, 072 952 1937
- Thifulufheli Sinthumule, CoRMSA: firstname.lastname@example.org / 084 870 3825
- Sibongile Ndashe, ISLA: email@example.com / 064 754 2538
- Ntuthuzo Ndzomo, Iranti-Org: firstname.lastname@example.org / 083 301 8730
- Phumi Mtetwa, JASS: email@example.com / 076 246 3018
- Lindokuhle Mdabe, LHR: Lindokuhle@lhr.org.za / 063 514 5755
- Mpumi Mathabela, 1in9 Campaign: firstname.lastname@example.org / 067 404 3432
- Julekha Latib, OVOAHA: email@example.com / 0742925805
- Asanda Ngoasheng, Oxfam: Asanda.Ngoasheng@oxfam.org.za / 082 610 9374